Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dyspraxia

I spend too much time on the web. I however was happy to discover I am definately not alone. Here I have joined a support group, because I discovered there were others who have experienced similar difficulties in life. I hope things turn around. Since I was little my handwriting has been horrible. Doing crafts and stuff like that is a torture chamber. I could not clean more than a few places a day, even then I will drive people crazy. I don't know why I was given this since it is annoying. I have a college degree. I went through VBR which was a joke. Anyway I had some social things I have had to overcome. God gave me opportunities in college and throughout my 20s to overcome a lot of things in that area

In hs, I hid behind the books since I discovered if I studied I could do well. I made honors society. Throughout life, I know I have had a impairment in my speech. People have assumed I was dumb. I went to therapy, but it only helped to a point. There have been so many obstacles that I have been constantly dealing with throughout life. One thing that I wish I had was more strength like everyone else.

It was a breath of fresh air to discover there are other people who do not do well with planning. I however hope things turn around soon. I live in a sorry town when it comes to public transportation.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me jotting down the trials I have faced. I will tell you that I love working with people and writing poetry.

3 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger moshpitmarsha said...

BVR is no help. It is hard to find work. I just hope I can find something I can stand, before I face my uncle. I love him, but the last few times I have felt like a complete screwup. Dyspraxia has only been discovered as a term within the last 20 yrs. It was known as minimal brain dysfunction, which is awfully degrading.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger moshpitmarsha said...

One of my desires is to start a local dyspraxia support group. I support Warren Fried and his efforts. I hope to get involved in this grassroots efforts since the public needs to be educated on this whole thing. A lot of people are so ignorant, its pathetic. This is a cause worthwhile. Anyway check out dyspraxiausa.org if you are a U.S. citizen.

One thing I am grateful for is the fact my parents and a few teachers were very encouraging back in school. I did well in school once I started eight grade and on. I might have slipped below a 3 point a few times but maintained above a 3.0 through HS. The library aide was an idiot and did not understand how someone in honors society could have bad handwriting. Isn't that ignorance?

I recall 5 months after I graduated from college, I had this short-term where I could not take it so I put this woman name Norma in her place. Looking back, I should have contacted the temp agency and told them what was going on. This stuff however needs to be addressed. BVR and their job developers are not educated on how to deal with people like me. I guess I have to rely on God.

I have joined Dyspraxia USA.org and have submitted a few poems. I hope to start submitting more stuff. This week I have been applying for work by beating the streets, if something looks interesting I apply for it. I applied for 2 jobs from the newspaper. I had an interview with a scoring place. I hope I get that short term position. I get to use my analytical skills.

By the way Helen, I have been reading this 48 days to the work you love by Dan Miller. I suggest you should read this book and see if it can help.

On another note, is your husband in his thirties or fourties? I am 31. I guess I was one of the wonders, perhaps an overachiever.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger moshpitmarsha said...

Oh I see you live in the UK. The UK has more support groups than the U.S. from what I see. I am impressed with what Janet Taylor and Mary Cooley seem to be doing over in the UK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home