Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving Preparations

Twas the day before Thanksgiving and my mother is getting ready to have the family over. Today she will bake her famous pies. They are famous for the recipe was my Grandma Skinner's recipe. Grandma no longer bakes, so my mother has inherited this task. I have not paid too much attention to my mother's baking. I know she saves time and uses a pillsbury frozen crust. My mother just like Grandma uses canned pumpkin. She also uses five eggs. She adds very little ginger to the recipe. My mom will bake and then cool the pies. Five days earlier she discovered that Rusty, my sister's little dog liked pumpkin custard. So she will have to make an effort to keep it out of Rusty Chalupa's reach. Sorry Rusty these pies are not for you.

The next day the television will be blaring with Macy's Thanksgiving parade. My mother will be prepare a ham and green bean casserole. My mother always makes a ham for my grandmother will not eat anything that flies or swims. So we have ham, in addition to the turkey that will be brought by my Aunt Karen.

Much of that morning, Daisy and Duchess as well as possibly Rusty could be fighting over the ham they are not getting. Potatoes will be peeled and boiled so they can be mashed. At around noon my dad go and pick up grandma. Meanwhile the rest of the family will start staggering in with the rest of the meal such as turkey and gravy with dressing, not to mention my sister-in-law with a sweet potatoe casserole.

The goal that morning will be for my sister to take Sir Russell to June's so there will be one less dog in the house for Daisy and Duchess will be in my room, or the family den.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home